Donate Your Ponytail at Shavathon
Hair Loss & Chemotherapy
Cancer patients often undergo chemotherapy. Hair loss can occur when chemotherapy drugs travel throughout the body to kill cancer cells and some of these drugs damage hair follicles, causing the hair to fall out. Hair loss is a common side-effect of chemotherapy treatment.
Cancer patients undergoing treatment typically need wigs for short periods of time and usually buy acrylic wigs which are less expensive than wigs made from human hair.
Acrylic wigs, as stocked by CANSA, are a more affordable alternative to human hair wigs. Contact your local CANSA Care Centre about this.
Human Hair Wigs
CANSA Care Centres frequently have members of the public contacting them, wanting to donate human hair to make wigs for cancer patients experiencing hair loss.
We do accept donations of human hair at our Shavathons and throughout the year at our Head Office in Gauteng. Hair donations received are sent to a wig manufacturer of human hair.
CANSA’s Kindest Cut campaign: CANSA wishes to receive ponytails in order to make sufficient wigs for cancer Survivors requesting them. These wigs will be distributed, as requested, to CANSA Care Centres all over the country, and given to cancer Survivors who need it most. Your donation can help make someone feel beautiful again.
CANSA sincerely thanks everyone who has donated human hair and appreciates your thoughtfulness:
August 2015: Jolize (11 years old) – photo’s above – has Sarcoma a vary rare form of cancer which affects her muscles and tissue. Thanks to your hair donations, we were able to provide a wig for her recently and think she looks gorgeous!
Gallery – Hair Donations for wigs…
Requirements – Human Hair Donations:
- Ponytail donation that is 25 cm or longer.
- Hair should be clean and dry.
- All hair whether dyed or treated is acceptable. We are not able to use dreadlocks.
- When cutting the hair, please bind both ends with an elastic band and place in a zip-lock bag (this preserves it in the best condition while being transported to the wig manufacturer).
- Send your hair donation in a plastic bag with your name and contact details on it.
Please read our Frequently Asked Questions (Hair Donations) document…
Postage Human Hair Donations to CANSA
- For Att: Esti Lindner
- CANSA Head Office
- P.O. Box 2121, Bedfordview 2008
Where to Drop off Human Hair Donations
- at your local CANSA Care Centre – phone Care Centre for address details or
- at CANSA’s Head Office: 26 Concorde Road West, Bedfordview