Donate Your Ponytail
Hair Loss & Chemotherapy
Hair loss can occur when chemotherapy drugs travel throughout the body to kill cancer cells and some of these drugs damage hair follicles, causing the hair to fall out.
Human Hair Wigs
CANSA Care Centres frequently have members of the public contacting them, wanting to donate their hair to make wigs for cancer patients experiencing hair loss.
We do accept donations of human hair at our Shavathons and throughout the year at our Head Office in Gauteng. Hair donations received are sent to the company Lace Hair. CANSA receives a percentage of the proceeds from the wigs sold.
Lace Hair is South Africa’s number one supplier of premium quality lace Wigs, which includes French Lace, Swiss Lace, and Monofilament Lace. They also sell high quality synthetic and human hair wigs, which are cheaper than the lace wigs. Their focus is anyone who appreciates perfectly unique hair, cancer survivors, hair salons and celebrities of human hair “lace” wigs. (Download: Lace Hair Company Profile.)
Requirements – Human Hair Donations:
- 22cm or longer
- Hair that is clean, dry and free of permanent colour, bleach or other chemical treatments.
- When cutting your hair, please bind both ends with an elastic band and place in a zip-lock bag (this preserves it in the best condition while being transported to the wig manufacturer).
Postage – Human Hair Donations Sent Directly to CANSA
- For attention: Esti Lindner
- CANSA Head Office
- P.O. Box 2121, Bedfordview 2008
- Tel: 011-616 7662 or Cell: 0725296082
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Acrylic Wigs Less Expensive
Cancer patients undergoing treatment typically need wigs for short periods of time and usually buy acrylic wigs which are less expensive than wigs made from human hair. Acrylic wigs, are stocked by CANSA’s wig banks and are a more affordable alternative to human hair wigs. Contact your local CANSA Care Centre about this.