All Aboard for Shavathon 2015
17 February 2015 – CANSA held their first CANSA Shavathon 12 years ago, and in 2015, the event is still going strong – with men, women, children, caregivers, cancer Survivors and people whose lives have been personally touched by cancer, rallying the troops and joining in on the nationwide event, each with their own reason for getting involved.
When people head out to a local shopping centre on Saturday 28 February 2015 and at selected venues on 1 March, they will have the opportunity to shave their hair, donate their ponytail (of 25cm in length – that will go toward making wigs for cancer patients in need or purchase a CANSA wrap or spray their hair.
Spray the Kids Hair – New Stencils
Elize Joubert, CANSA’s Acting CEO says, “Shavathon is such a fun way to get involved in the fight against cancer, by shaving, spraying, ‘wrapping’ or donating your hair. To add to the fun, we’ve created a range of trendy new stencils especially for families and children for spraying hair. Spray used is made from vegetable dye and is safe to use, it lasts only a day and washes out easily. We invite people to get their colleagues, family and friends ready for Shavathon 2015.”
Donate Blood at Shavathon
This year’s CANSA Shavathon will see certain venues hosting blood drives at the same time.“Over 26% of blood donations are used for the treatment of cancer patients, as well as other terminal diseases so it’s important, we partner and help show our support for those battling with cancer.” says Vanessa Raju, Communications Manager for the South African National Blood Service (SANBS). See CANSA Shavathon venues hosting blood drives…
CANSA Shavathon Public Service Announcements (PSA)’s will be aired on radio stations across the country. The voices behind the nationwide PSA’s are Rozanne McKenzie (radio and TV personality) and talented nine-year old Laila Mackay. Sticking with a proudly South African vibe, the backing tracks used for the PSA’s are Cassper Nyovest’s ‘Alive’ and Stefan Dixon’s ‘Over and Over’.
The cost of R50 for adults and R25 for children under 12 years old, will go towards funding the care and support programmes that CANSA offers, mainly rendered at CANSA Care Centres to those affected by cancer. “Our CANSA Care Centres offer support in many forms to cancer patients, their families and anyone who wants to know more about the disease.” concluded Joubert.
Globeflight Challenging Corporates to Support Shavathon
Many workplaces around the country will be supporting the cause by hosting a Shavathon at their workplace between 2-6 March. Globeflight will kick off the corporate Shavathon events on 20 February 2015, and they will be hosting Shavathon events at 17 of their branches offices nationwide, as well as an event in Swaziland and Tanzania.
“Having been closely involved with CANSA Shavathon over the past few years has made us realise that we are all able to help cancer survivors so easily with this campaign. Shaving or spraying is an act to show our support for those affected by cancer. So we starting the magic on 20 Feb and challenge other corporate companies to also make a difference,” encourages Jo-Anne Grace, Sales & Marketing Director at Globeflight.
- Join at one of the public Shavathons at shopping centres across the country on 28 February.
- You can also volunteer to help out at a Shavathon event
- Host a Shavathon event at your workplace, organisation or school between 2-6 March 2015. Register your company – and challenge your colleagues.
- Become an online activist by raising funds online. Sign up at and become a fundraising champion. CANSA have upped the ante for their online activists, and anyone who signs up to raise funds for CANSA online, stands to win incredible experiences and prizes, including a studio session with Daniel Baron, a backstage pass and meet and greet with Mark Haze, a session to co-host a radio show with Mark Pilgrim on HOT 91.9 and an overnight stay for two at the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! at Melrose Arch – more details prizes…
- Enter our Social Media Competitions – A weekend in the Commodore Hotel in the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town as well as other exciting prizes and hampers will be up for grabs – more details prizes…